Making bread doesn’t have to be a long and involved affair. True to their name, quick breads, which don’t require yeast and instead use baking soda and powder to rise, can go from batter to baked in under an hour, making them easy to throw together for brunch, afternoon tea or an anytime nosh.
This Pennsylvania maple cider bread is tender, tasty and totally satisfying. Our recipe takes the bread to the next level with the addition of salted maple butter, which is so wildly delicious, you’re going to want to put it on everything.
To harness the local flavors of fall, be sure to use PA-sourced maple syrup and PA craft cider. While you might be tempted to swap in sweet cider, bubbly hard cider is ideal, because carbonated liquid helps to make quick breads — which can be a bit dense — light and airy. Topped with crunchy oats, drizzled with melted butter and baked to golden perfection, this maple cider bread begs for a cup of local coffee, or maybe even a glass of hard cider!
Pennsylvania Maple Cider Bread with Salted Maple Butter
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 min||45 min||55 min|
Maple Cider Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons pure PA maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 12 ounces local hard cider, room temperature
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and baking powder in large bowl until combined. Add maple syrup, 3 tablespoons melted butter and hard cider. Stir until just combined and no dry flour remains.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle oats over batter and drizzle with remaining melted butter. Bake 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then remove from pan and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Salted Maple Butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Flake salt, for serving (optional)
- While bread cools, whisk together butter, syrup and kosher salt in medium mixing bowl until smooth. Transfer to serving bowl and serve at room temperature.
- Spread butter on slices of bread and sprinkle with flake salt.
- Recipe, video and photo: Dish Works