Your new favorite lunch setup looks something like this: a big cutting board or platter, loaded with ripe PA tomatoes, thick cut bacon, shredded romaine, hearty slices of country wheat bread and any other fixings you think belong on a BLT. Instead of assembling the sandwiches for everyone, set this abundant platter out for your guests, then let your guests put together their own customized BLT!
To keep it PA-proud, try the following ingredients:
Bacon: genuine hardwood smoked bacon from Kunzler; smoked pepper bacon from Hummer’s Meats; antibiotic- and hormone-free bacon from Rooster St. Butcher in the Lancaster Central Market.
Tomatoes: Heirloom tomatoes from Happy Cat Farm; rare varieties from Sheep-in-Hand Farm; sweet cherry tomatoes from Garfield Community Farm.
Lettuce: Hydroponic romaine from Butter Valley Harvest or Bux-Mont Hydroponics; butter lettuce from Good Harvest Farms; red leaf lettuce from Greensgrow.
Bread: Sourdough loaf from Nord Bread; Anadama Bread from High Street on Market; crusty wheat bread from The Market at Talula’s Table.
Fill out and complete the board by adding your favorite local pickles (or make your own!), crocks of mayo and mustard, sliced avocado and a side of chips!
Pennsylvania BLT Lunch Board
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 min||0 min||15 min|
- 1 pound PA bacon, cooked
- 3 pounds PA tomatoes, sliced
- 1 head PA lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mustard
- 3 medium local or homemade pickles, sliced
- 8 slices of local bread, lightly toasted
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- Chips or pretzels, to taste
- On a large, clean cutting board or platter, arrange the bacon, lettuce and tomatoes. Place the sliced bread alongside, and fill in any gaps with condiments, pickles and chips.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works