Summer tomatoes, how do we love thee? Let us count the ways: layered on bread with mayo, salt and pepper; atop a bed of whipped ricotta and greens; snuggled up in three-cheese lasagna; piled onto bagels with cream cheese and scallions … we could go on and on. It’s that bagel situation, with a sweet, ripe tomato playing against the seedy, savoriness of an everything bagel and a swipe of cheese, that we’ve recreated here in this divine tomato galette recipe. There’s something about this combination of flavors that’s simultaneously nostalgic, elegant and playful, all at once! We love it at lunch or supper with a little green salad and a glass of PA dry riesling.
The homemade crust is the same as in our Pennsylvania Honey Cardamom Stone Fruit Galette, so do your future self a favor and make a double batch of the dough, wrap one ball of it tightly in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer. Then, you’re just a few steps away from a sweet or savory galette, whichever you’re in the mood for!
Pennsylvania Tomato Cream Cheese Galette
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|20 min||40 min||60 min|
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 4 to 6 medium ripe PA tomatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced thin, plus more for garnish
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons everything bagel seasoning (or equal parts black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried minced garlic, dried minced onion and salt)
- Pulse AP flour, whole wheat flour, salt and pepper in food processor until combined. Add butter and pulse until pea-sized pieces form. Add vinegar and ice water, 1 teaspoon at a time, and pulse until dough begins to come together and no dry spots remain.
- Transfer dough to flour-dusted work surface and gently knead until dough comes together. Shape into disk and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Chill at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, slice tomatoes into 1/4”-thick rounds. Arrange in single layer over paper towels or clean kitchen towel to drain some moisture.
- Combine cream cheese and green onions, until fully incorporated and smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and position rack in bottom third of oven. Remove dough from plastic wrap and divide in half (or quarters for mini galettes). Coat parchment paper with flour and roll dough out in 1/8” thick circle. Transfer parchment paper to baking sheet and refrigerate dough while you prepare the filling. Repeat with second half of dough.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and, leaving a 2” border, smooth cream cheese mixture over dough into even 1/4” layer. Top with overlapping tomato slices and sprinkle with salt. Fold border up over the fruit and brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning over egg wash. Bake until crust is golden and crisp and tomatoes start to caramelize, 35-40 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Sprinkle with green onion, cut into wedges and serve warm.
- Recipe and photo: Dish Works