If COVID-19 social distancing has inspired you to revisit the art of the at-home cocktail hour, you may be recognizing the limitations of your bar cart. If your bottle of gin is getting perilously close to the bottom, or you’re jonesing for a Sazerac but don’t have a bottle of absinthe on hand, you know what we mean. With Pennsylvania’s Fine Wine & Good Spirits shops offering very limited online ordering and curbside pick-up, and bars and bottle shops unable to sell hard alcohol to-go, replenishing your spirits stash might feel a bit dire for home mixologists.
But, there is a solution to this problem, and it’s in your own backyard! Pennsylvania is home to so many craft distilleries, and almost all of them are offering some sort of public sales, including shipping, local delivery, or curbside pick-up. Instead of crossing state lines to go to big-box liquor stores that are still open to the public, shop small and shop local!
Here is how to buy Pennsylvania spirits from home:
Art in the Age (Philadelphia, PA): Craft-minded brand making spirits, many of them forgotten libations, inspired by the history of their city.
- Shop online: Fruit cordials and brandies, New Liberty Distillery products (vodka, gin, whiskey), Tamworth Distilling products (uniquely flavored gins, aquavit, etc.).
- Shipping within Pennsylvania; curbside pick-up offered Tuesday through Saturday from the Art in the Age shop in Old City.
Barley Creek Brewing Co. (Tannersville, PA): A craft brewery in the Poconos that also produces craft spirits.
- Shop online: Regular and flavored vodka, white and flavored rum, whiskey, moonshine, gin, canned cocktails, cocktail kits, hand sanitizer.
- Local delivery and scheduled curbside pick-up available; Daily hours are 10:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Barrel 21 Distillery (State College, PA): A distillery working closely with local farmers to source as many raw materials as possible to make spirits on a German still.
- Peruse Barrel 21’s spirit offerings online, then call in your order to (814) 470-1394 for same-day deliver within a 5-mile radius of the distillery (must order by 3 p.m.).
Bella Bambini (Coraopolis, PA): Maker of hand-crafted, premium beverages, with enhanced alcohol content.
- Shop online: Limoncello and hand sanitizer.
- Items shipped within PA.
Big Springs Spirits (Bellefonte, PA): A craft distillery using the finest local ingredients to make award-winning spirits.
- Shop online: Various types of gin, vodka, rum, whiskey and ready-to-drink cocktails; Hand sanitizer and merchandise also available.
- Curbside pick-up offerd every day from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.; orders placed before 3 p.m. are eligible for $10 same-day local delivery; bottles can be shipped within PA for a $5 fee.
Blackbird Distillery (Brookville, PA): Pennsylvania’s first legal moonshine distillery using locally sourced ingredients.
- Blackbird’s shop is currently open daily: Sunday to Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. You can call in your order and arrange for curbside pick-up if you wish. Various styles and flavors of moonshine, as well as homemade artisan foods and snacks, are available.
Bluebird Distilling (Phoenixville): An award-winning grain-to-glass craft distillery that uses a state-of the-art hybrid copper still.
- Shop online: Rum, vodka, bourbon, whiskey, rye, gin, brandy, agave-based tequila/mezcal-adjacent spirit, merch.
- Local free local delivery within 15 miles of the Phoenixville distillery (100 Bridge Street, Phoenixville), as well as free delivery with purchases over $100 in the Philadelphia five-county area. To receive free local delivery, patrons can use the code LOCALLOVE at checkout. For free delivery on $100+ purchases (and to get a mystery gift), use the code PHILLYLOVE.
- Bluebird’s Phoenixville location is open daily for bottle sales, Monday through Friday from 2 to 7 p.m. and weekends from noon to 7 p.m.
- Shop online: A range of spirits, including vodka, gin, whiskey, rum, triple sec, cranberry, ginger and citrus spirits, and Boardroom’s B (beet) and C (carrot) distilled spirits. Ready-to-drink cocktails, apparel and merchandise are also available.
- Hand sanitizer is free in 4-oz. bottles; see here for more info.
- Curbside pickup and home delivery are both available. The distillery is open daily from noon to 6 p.m. for pick-ups, and delivery is limited to 25 miles from zip code 19446. There is a $5 delivery charge that is 100% paid to Boardroom’s drivers.
Boyd & Blair (Glenshaw, PA): Pennsylvania’s only 5-star rated distillery, which is proud to support local farmers and businesses.
- Shop online: Rum, vodka, chili liqueur, ready-to-drink bottled cocktails and gift sets.
- Orders shipped in PA.
- Peruse CJ’s website to see its product options, including vodka, gin, rum and whiskey. Call (814) 837-1500) to place an order, with pick-ups available Monday through Saturday from noon to 5:30 p..m., and statewide shipping offered for a flat fee of $20 for up to 12 bottles.
Conneaut Cellars (Conneaut Lake, PA): A winery on the edge of Conneaut Lake, which also makes a limited range of small-batch spirits.
- Spirits cannot be purchased online, but there is a list of items on Conneaut Cellars’ Facebook page, including rum, vodka and bourbon, that may be purchased over the phone (814-382-3999) and picked up from the winery, which is open daily from 10 a.m. 6 p.m.
County Seat Spirits (Allentown, PA): Founded in 2014, County Seat is the Lehigh Valley’s first state-licensed and federally permitted distillery since prohibition.
- Shop online: Regular and flavored vodka, rum, bourbon, whiskey, assorted mixers and snacks.
- Local delivery within 15 miles of Easton, PA ($50 order minimum delivery), shipping throughout Pennsylvania; pre-pay curbside pick-up also available.
Dad’s Hat Rye (Bristol, PA): A distillery with a mission to distill and deliver classic Pennsylvania Rye spirits following over 200 years of American distilling.
- Shop online: Various types of rye whiskey.
- Delivery available to Pennsylvania addresses, with a flat fee of $10 per order. Free shipping for orders of six bottles or more.
Disobedient Spirits (Homer, PA): Craft distillery founded by two hobbyists-turned-pro former retired professors.
- Shop online: Various types of whiskey, vodka, gin and brandy.
- Curbside pick-ups available Tuesday through Saturday from noon to 8 p.m. Deliveries on Thursdays and Saturdays offered in a 7-mile radius, orders of $75+ can be delivered up to 12 miles. Deliveries to Johnstown and Ebensburg will have a $15 charge.
Eight Oaks Craft Distillery (New Tripoli, PA): Veteran-owned, family-run, farm-grown distillery in the Lehigh Valley.
- Shop online: Gin, rum, whiskey, brandy, applejack, as well as hand sanitizer and merchandise.
- Drive-through, contactless pick-up is offered at the distillery.
Five Saints Distilling (Norristown, PA): A grain-to-glass distillery that uses locally-grown corn and rye from Bill Beam Farms in Elverson, PA
- Peruse Five Saints’ products (like vodka, gin, whiskey, absinthe and more) online, then call in your order at (610) 279-5364.
- Pick up at the Bottle Shop, holding weekly hours from Monday through Friday from 4 to 7 p.m., Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 3 p.m.
Holla Spirits (York, PA): A vodka company created by two friends just out of college to appeal to a younger market.
- Shop online: Regular and flavored vodka in pouches, bottles and multi-packs; merchandise also available.
- All orders shipped direct to PA residents; 20% of all online sales proceeds from now through May 1st will be donated to the United States Bartenders’ Guild COVID-19 Relief Program.
Hidden Still Spirits (Lebanon, PA): Small distillery in a 100-year old building in downtown Lebanon.
- Peruse Hidden Still’s products (like bourbon, whiskey, vodka and rum) online, then call in your order at (717) 808-5188.
- The distillery is open for pick-ups Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Kingfly Spirits (Pittsburgh, PA): A Pittsburgh-based distillery dedicated to producing small-batch spirits that meet only the highest standards
- Shop online: Whiskey, rum, vodka, limoncello and grappa; email [email protected] with your order.
- Shipping and delivery are not currently available, but Kingfly is offering no-contact pick-up service from the distillery. Pickups are available Wednesday through Sunday from 1 to 6 p.m.
Liberty Pole Spirits (Washington, PA): Family-owned, small-batch distillery committed to producing premium craft whiskeys from locally sourced heritage grains in an American-made pot still.
- Shop online: Various bourbons and whiskeys.
- Shipping available within PA (free for orders over $100); curbside pick-ups are also available.
Maggie’s Farm Rum (Pittsburgh, PA): A small-batch distillery founded in 2013, producing one of America’s most award-winning rums.
- Shop online: White and aged rum, rum liqueurs and pre-mixed rum cocktails.
- All purchases must be made in advance online. $5 local delivery (two-bottle minimum) is offered to Allegheny County addresses. FedEx shipping offered to all other Pennsylvania addresses.
- Orders can be placed for curbside pick-up (all orders must be made online, in advance). Pick-up times are offered Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Manatawny Still Works (Pottstown, PA): A distillery on the banks of the Manatawny Creek, bottling the highest-quality handcrafted spirits in small batches.
- Shop online: Vodka, whiskey, gin, rum and merchandise.
- Online orders are available for pick-up from the Pottstown and South Philly locations on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, from noon to 5 p.m.
Midstate Distillery (Harrisburg, PA): A family-owned distillery, Harrisburg’s first since Prohibition.
- Peruse Midstate’s products online; the distillery is currently offering drive-through pick-up only, every day from noon to 5 p.m. Available spirits are listed on a menu board when you drive up to order.
New Liberty Distillery (Philadelphia, PA): A working distillery in a renovated barn in North Philadelphia.
- Shop online: Whiskey, rye, vodka, rum, agave-based spirits, triple sec, limoncello and coffee liqueur.
- Same-day pick-up service is offered with five hours’ notice or next day. Orders can also be shipped within Pennsylvania.
Palmer Distilling Co. (Philadelphia, PA): Focused on tradition and simplicity, this Manayunk-based distillery is rooted in the history of distilling.
- Liberty Gin and Manayunk Moonshine are available for delivery for a case of 6 or more in the Philadelphia 5-county area. Shipment is offered outside that area for orders of 1 or 2 bottles for a $15 FedEx Ground fee. Orders must be emailed to [email protected]
Pennsylvania Distilling (Malvern, PA): A craft spirits producer and marketer located in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Shop online: Vodka, rum, whiskey, gin and hand sanitizer.
- Orders available for curbside pick-up at the distillery Monday through Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday from 2 to 7 p.m.
Pennsylvania Libations (Pittsburgh, PA): A family-driven craft wine, spirits, ciders, mead and beer sales company that supports and sells only Pennsylvania-made products.
- Shop online: Spirits from a number of PA distilleries, as well as PA beer and wine.
- Items shipped within PA. Free delivery is available in Allegheny and Westmoreland counties on orders of $50 or more.
Philadelphia Distilling (Philadelphia, PA):
- Shop online: Bluecoat Gin (regular, elderflower and barrel-aged), vodka, whiskey, amaro, absinthe, bitters, merchandise and cocktail kits.
- PA residents can order directly from the distillery for home delivery. Curbside pick-up is also available daily between noon and 8 p.m. at Philadelphia Distilling’s Fishtown location.
Quantum Spirits (Carnegie, PA): An innovative distillery in the former Steinmetz Bakery in the heart of Carnegie on East Main Street.
- Check out the website for Quantum’s list of products (like amaro, barrel-rested gin and bitters), place an order using an online form.
- Touch-less, curbside pickup on Wednesdays and Fridays from noon to 5 p.m.
Red Brick Craft Distillery (Philadelphia, PA): Born from a Kickstarter campaign, Red Brick first got its feet on the ground in 2016.
- Shop online: Whiskey, rum and hand sanitizer.
- Pick-ups available by appointment only at the distillery (call 267-603-3790 to set a pick-up time). Same and next-day delivery available in the Philadelphia area.
- Shop online: Seasonally-inspired gins and bourbons.
- Shipping throughout PA; free delivery is offered on orders of two bottles or more to Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties. Curbside pick-up is available Monday through Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday and Friday from 2 – 7 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. (takeout food is also available Thursday through Sunday).
Social Still (Bethlehem, PA): A distillery, bar and restaurant located in a former bank building in Bethlehem.
- Shop online: Various types of vodka, gin, bourbon, rum and rye; takeout food is also available.
- Curbside pick-up available at the distillery Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 7 p.m.
Stoll & Wolfe Distillery (Lititz, PA): Crafting small batch Pennsylvania rye whiskey and bourbon using locally grown grain.
- Shop online: Vodka, gin, rye whiskey, bourbon and frozen slushies (for curbside pick-up only).
- Order online for curbside pick-up (orders placed by 11 p.m. are available for next day pickups from Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 6 p.m.).
- Deliveries are offered in Philadelphia for orders over $50.
Thistle Finch Distillery (Lancaster, PA): Craft distillery making award-winning spirits in the former Walter Schnader Tobacco Warehouse.
- Shop online: Regular and flavored vodka, gin and rye whiskey.
- FedEx Ground shipping available in PA with a maximum of 6 bottles per order; pick-ups are offered at the distillery, which is open Tuesday through Saturday from noon to 5 p.m.
Wigle Whiskey (Pittsburgh, PA): Pittsburgh’s first distillery since Prohibition, headquartered in the city’s Strip District neighborhood.
- Shop online: A wide range of spirits including rye, rum, flavored whiskey and liqueurs; stock-up bundles, bitters and merchandise also available.
- FedEx shipping available in PA; Drive through pick-ups available at the distillery, Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (all orders must be placed in advance online).
What cocktails are you excited to make in quarantine? What are your favorite PA distilleries? Let us know in the comments here or on the PA Eats Facebook page!
- Feature photo: Dish Works
- Cocktail photo: Bluebird Distilling
- All other photos: Courtesy of their respective distilleries