One of our go-to weeknight dinners is a simple grain bowl. Aside from being quick and easy, it’s practically the definition of clean eating: a healthy dose of whole grains, plenty of veggies and some protein to round it out. In this simple, wallet-friendly recipe that the folks from Chester County Food Bank brought to us during their visit to the Pennsylvania Kitchen, we focus on seasonal fresh produce from the farmers market or local grocer, with some canned chickpeas and tuna for extra flavor and protein. Feel free to improvise: Swap in your favorite veggies, omit the tuna to keep it vegetarian, or use up any leftovers that have been hanging out in the fridge!
Pennsylvania Veggie Grain Bowl
- 1/2 cup brown rice (or other grain of your choosing)
- 3 cups veggies of your choice (we used onion, carrot, swiss chard, green beans, garlic and onion)
- 2/3 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of tuna, packed in water or olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook brown rice (or other grain) according to package directions.
- Prepare vegetables by cutting and slicing into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Saute veggies with oil, salt and pepper until tender. Toss in the chickpeas to warm them up.
- Open and drain the tuna.
- Put cooked grains in a bowl, then layer on the veggies, chickpeas and tuna. Serve hot.