There’s no better way to celebrate Pennsylvania produce than with a fresh, crisp salad; each forkful is a taste of PA’s agricultural bounty. We love how our Pennsylvania Kitchen guest Neil Edley of Sugar Plum Chocolates chose local arugula from Rowland’s Pennsylvania Produce, a hydroponic farm in Falls, PA (just north of Wilkes-Barre), as the base for his signature Citrus Thyme Pecan Salad. The greens, harvested just days before his visit, were bright and peppery, an ideal base for raw cukes, carrots and tomatoes, with avocado and mozzarella for protein, pear for sweetness and Sugar Plum’s kettle-cooked Tangerine & Thyme pecans for a sweet, citrusy crunch.
Sugar Plum Citrus Thyme Pecan Salad
- 4 cups PA-grown arugula
- 1 pound local heirloom tomatoes
- 3 local carrots, diced
- 2 local cucumbers, diced
- 6 ounces baby mozzarella
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 pear, sliced
- 3 ounces Parmesan Reggiano, shaved
- 1/2 cup Sugar Plum Citrus Thyme Pecans
- Prepare each ingredient. Assemble salads on individual plates, starting with a bed of arugula and add on other toppings, to taste.
- Drizzle with dressing (below).
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons raw local honey
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- Vigorously whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until the dressing has emulsified.