If you’ve ventured out to a supermarket since the COVID-19 crisis hit Pennsylvania, you may have noticed that they’re often a bit of a mess. Depending on what time of day you shop, entire shelves are often empty, and many items never seem to be in stock. One of the sections of the market that often seems to be depleted is the meat department (and deli counters), especially common items like ground beef, chicken breasts, bacon and sausages.
There is one pretty simple solution that not only helps you stay stocked up on your family’s favorite proteins, but also helps Pennsylvania’s farmers and ranchers, who are struggling right now, like pretty much every other food-producing sector. That solution is: Buy local meat online! There are many farms and butcher shops offering the same beautiful quality meats that you’d normally find at the farmers market, but for home delivery or curbside pick-up on the farm, or at other nearby locations. Take a look at our list of sites where you can buy Pennsylvania meat from home, and place an order today to help support the local agricultural economy!
Amazing Creator Ranch: (Canton, PA): Pastured, non-GMO beef and poultry raised by a family in North Central Pennsylvania.
- Shop online: Quarter, half and whole beef and whole chickens.
- Orders must be emailed by spring to reserve meat for the fall; meat is available for pick-up at the farm or can be delivered to drop points in PA.
Apple Ridge Farm (Saylorsburg, PA): Owned by Brian Bruno and run by a group of hard-working people dedicated to producing the quality, sustainable food.
- Shop online: Beef, poultry, pork and seafood.
- Dairy, produce, baked goods, coffee, pantry items (granola, jam, sugar, dried beans, etc.) also available.
- All orders must be picked up on the farm the Tuesday after ordering.
Baytree Farm (Emlenton, PA): 180 acres of grass pasture and hayfields, located in southern Venango County, specializing in grass-fed lamb.
- Call or email to place orders for grass-fed lamb and mutton.
- Shipping can be arranged, and lamb can be picked up at the farm.
Bendy Brook Farm (Oley, PA): A family farm committed to providing the highest quality meats and using practices that sustain the natural ecosystem and foster a humane lifestyle for the animals.
- Shop online: Numerous cuts of beef, pork, rabbit and poultry.
- Eggs, fermented foods and raw pet food also available.
- Various pick-up points in Oley; home delivery to Southeast PA every other Thursday.
Blue Rooster Farm (East Waterford, PA): A family-owned and operated beef, sheep and hog farm located in the Ridge and Valley Region of South Central Pennsylvania.
- Shop online: Grass-fed Angus beef, lamb and free range Berkshire pork.
- Deliveries available to State College, Mifflintown, Harrisburg and Lancaster.
View this post on Instagram
We’re all set for another weekend of markets and pre-order drop offs! Thank you to everyone who continues to support this little farm that could! We’re settling into a new groove and each week gets a little smoother. Here’s the plan for tomorrow. FARMERS’ MARKETS: BETHLEHEM – Scholl Orchards, 3057 Center St., 10-4 pm @schollorchards . . LANCASTER – Lancaster Marketplace, 2084 Fruitville Pike, 10-6 pm @lancaster_marketplace . . . PRE-ORDER DROP POINTS: EASTON – Easton Public Market, Rear, Church St., 10-Noon @eastonpublicmkt . . EMMAUS/MACUNGIE – Fisher Residence, 3556 Vista Dr., 1:30-2:30 pm RESTAURANT: It’s nacho & pretzel night at the Kitchen! Come in from 4-7 pm for nachos, soft pretzels and comfort meals! Curbside pickup only. Order at Bit.ly/BF_Meal_Orders @breakawayfarms_kitchen . . . #goteam #whosyourfarmer #meatyoucantrust #breakawayfarms
Breakaway Farms (Mount Joy, PA): Nate Thomas and his team have a strong passion for saving old farms, producing highly nutritious food, and communing with others around the table.
- Shop online: Beef, pork (including sausage and many types of bacon), poultry and lamb.
- Eggs, prepared foods also available.
- Pick up locations include the Easton Public Market, Scholl Orchards and Lancaster Marketplace on Saturdays, and all the farm by appointment.
Broadleaf Acres (Mercersburg, PA): A small-scale permaculture farm that grows healthy, nutrient-dense food for the community in the most regenerative way possible.
- Shop online: Chicken, lamb (chops and sausage) and veal.
- Baked goods and personal care products (soap, lotion, etc.) also available.
- Shipping across Pennsylvania.
Broadrun Farms (Beaver Falls, PA): A 100% grass-fed, 6th-generation dairy farm
- Shop online: Chicken, sausage and beef.
- Cheese and dairy and maple syrup also available.
- Home delivery offered to a number of zip codes in Western PA.
Canter Hill Farms (Malvern, PA): A family farm in Chester County raising heritage breeds on pasture
- Find prices and option online (orders must be emailed): Chicken, duck, turkey, beef, lamb and pork.
- Pick ups at Bryn Mawr, Chestnut Hill, Ambler and Kennett Square farmers markets; bi-monthly home drop-offs in Media for orders over $100; pick-ups at the farm on Fridays.
View this post on Instagram
It’s finally time to dust off your Dutch oven and give your grill the day off…it’s time to braise some short ribs and stay cozy inside this weekend! Order up some of these beautiful short ribs from our online shop or pick them up at the @malvernfm or @westreadingfarmersmarket. #grassfed #pastureraised #heritagebreed #meatraisedright #wholeanimalbutchery #shortribs #hormonefree #antibioticfree #nongmo
Carnicopia (Malvern, PA): An online-based supplier of grass-fed and pasture raised meats and poultry serving Chester and Delaware Counties, the Main Line and the greater Philadelphia area.
- Shop online: Beef, pork and chicken, as well as ground beef, sausages, bone broth; other items include tallow soaps and candles, and produce.
- Meat Buyer’s Club subscriptions are available, or you can shop a la carte.
- Orders can be picked up at locations in Southeastern PA; home delivery available for $5 in Chester and Delaware Counties, and the Main Line and for $10 in Philadelphia and other areas outside of the delivery routes.
Clearview Valley Farms (Quarryville, PA): A traditional Amish family farm practicing sustainable, biodynamic methods in accordance with Weston A. Price Foundation standards.
- Shop online: Chicken, beef, pork, turkey, lamb and seafood.
- Raw milk and dairy, eggs, honey, soap, fermented foods and more also available.
- Shipping nationwide via UPS; Use the code IAMBLESSED at checkout to save 5% on orders over $40.
Coulter Farms (Honey Grove, PA): A family farm practicing a purely organic farming system, relying exclusively on biological systems.
- Shop online: Grass-fed beef and lamb, GMO-free pork, free-range chicken, turkey, ducks, geese and rabbits.
- Eggs, honey, dairy, kombucha, coffee and other goods also available.
- Shipping available via UPS.
Deer Run Acres (Edinboro, PA): A farm that uses regenerative agricultural methods, and manages its animals as part of the greater ecosystem.
- Shop online: Grass-fed beef and lamb, pastured pork and eggs.
- Pick up at the farm.
Dutch Meadows Farm (Paradise, PA): Third-generation practicing organic farm in the heart of Lancaster County, owned by the Stoltzfus family.
- Shop online: Grass-fed beef and beef bundles; pasture-raised milk-fed pork; pasture-raised poultry; wild-caught fish.
- Dairy (cheese, cow and goat milk, eggs), raw honey and maple syrup, and spelt-based baked goods (like whoopie pies!) also available.
The Farmstead Butcher (Gettysburg, PA): All-local butcher shop, located on the premises at Rettland Farm
- Products include: grass-fed beef, pork cuts, bacon, duck, and chicken, pork and duck sausage; other items include dairy and condiments.
- Each week, an updated product list is added to Farmstead Butcher’s Facebook and Instagram pages. Call or email to place an order for pick-up.
Firefly Meadow Farm (Washington Boro, PA): Josiah and Carmen Garber started their farm out of a desire to find nutritious food for their family.
- Shop online: Grass-fed beef and pasture chickens.
- Eggs, dairy, raw honey and green cleaning products also available.
- Shipping available; pick-up at the farm store; local delivery is offered for $15 within 15 miles of the farm.
Footprints Farm (Gibbon Glade, PA): A sustainably designed, diversified, family farm that grows premium quality meats, vegetables and herbs using natural and traditional farming methods.
- Shop online: Beef, pork (including sausage and bacon), CSA-style family boxes also available.
- Pick-ups available at the farms locations in Gibbon Glade, Clairton, Unionville and Connellsville, as well as at Bar Marco in Pittsburgh. Local home delivery available for a $20 fee.
Freedom Acres (Honey Brook, PA): A family farm in western Chester County, Pennsylvania that strives to produce all-natural foods.
- Shop online: Pasture-raised chicken and beef, pork and meat bundles.
- Dairy, cheese, fermented foods, prepared foods, pizza kits and gluten-free baked goods also available.
- Pick up at the farm, or order delivery to a number of locations throughout Chester, Montgomery and Delaware counties.
Grateful Life Farm (Kennerdell, PA): Husband and wife team Shawn Witherup and Leah Wilson discovered the critical importance of a high quality real food diet to the health of humans and our environment and began their farming journey in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.
- Shop online: Chicken and pork products and pastured eggs.
- Pick up and delivery in the greater Pittsburgh area.
View this post on Instagram
We're here for you Philly. . We are open in the @rdgterminalmkt and want to continue to serve you the best we can. In times like these we want to serve and support our local community the same way you have supported us over the years. . If your not able or don't want to come to the market you can find our products on @shopmercato for local delivery in the Philadelphia area. The market is doing what they can and are offering free delivery within a 16 miles radius of @rdgterminalmkt just use RTMFREE at checkout. Stay safe Philly and we can get thru this together.
Halteman’s Family Meats (Lancaster, PA): A family-owned business selling the freshest, high-quality meats straight from the farms of Lancaster County.
- Shop online: Numerous cuts of meat, including beef, poultry and pork, as well as meat packages
- Deli cheeses are also available.
- Shipping nationwide.
Kessler Farm Meats (Easton, PA): Family farm in operation since 1780, currently raising Black Angus and Hereford cattle.
- Shop online: Grass-fed beef, pork and meat bundles.
- Specialty products and pet food also available.
- Delivery within the Lehigh Valley is offered for a $40 fee; pick up available at the farm.
Lil’ Ponderosa Beef (Carlisle, PA): A closed herd of purebred Black Angus cattle on a 350-acre owned and rented family farm.
- Shop online: Numerous cuts of grass-fed beef, chicken, pork and salmon.
- Bones, honey and maple syrup also available.
- $100 order minimum, picked up at the farm by appointment.
The Meat House (Chadds Ford, PA): Family-owned neighborhood butcher and grocer, owned and operated by the Gagnon family since 2014.
- Shop online: Red meat (including steaks, burgers, roasts, etc.); poultry, including marinated cuts; pork (chops, bacon, sausages); deli meat; lamb and veal; venison; seafood; exotic meats, like bison, elk, alligator and ostrich.
- A large selection of grocery items, including dairy, produce, frozen and canned goods, condiments and snacks, as well as prepared foods, are available.
Meadow Run Farm: (Lititz, PA): A pasture-based family farm with a simple mission to produce nutrient-dense foods.
- Shop online: Beef, chicken, pork, turkey and lamb.
- Dairy, snacks, baking ingredients and personal care items also available.
- Pick-up locations across South Central and Southeastern PA.
Myer Hill Chicken (Paradise, PA): Ethically raised and humanely prepared chickens from young farmer Elizabeth Boone.
- Shop online: Whole chicken, chicken heart, chicken feet.
- Pick up at the farm; arrange for a neighborhood drop site (three or more orders from a similar geographical region); home delivery available in Lancaster county for orders of 5 or more chickens. Out of county home deliveries are available in Pennsylvania within a 70 miles radius of the farm for a rate of $0.60/mile.
Owens Farm (Sunbury, PA): Grass-fed lamb, pastured pork, pastured chicken and turkey and raw honey raised on 112 acres in the Susquehanna River Valley.
- Shop online: Pork, lamb and mutton, chicken, duck and turkey.
- Home delivery available for addresses in Northumberland, Sunbury, Danville, Lewisburg and Selinsgrove for a $30 fee; on-farm pick-up also available.
View this post on Instagram
A lot has changed over the last couple of weeks. With the hard work of our dedicated team, we transitioned our business model from being a wholesale purveyor and a retail butcher shop, to a pickup and delivery-based web store. Our Butcher's Club is alive and well thanks to the support of our members, although we are currently offering pickups at our 2 locations only. Your web orders have been pouring in, and we’ve been heads-down cutting, filling, and organizing them for you. We’re expanding our selection and continuing to partner with many amazing local businesss including @freshfromzone7 @phillybreadco @mycopolitan @lancasterfarmfresh @littlenoodlepastaco @thirdwheelcheeseco @oasis_creamery @rivalbroscoffee @samuelsseafood to bring you a wide offering of groceriees. Meanwhile, our kitchen is preparing ready to reheat and eat foods for you, which are perfect for those nights when you just don’t feel like cooking again. We're feeling great about our ability to serve and feed you. We’re so grateful for your continued support, and all the kind, heartfelt messages we’ve received. Stay safe and healthy! We love you! -Team Primal Supply
Primal Supply Meats (Philadelphia, PA): Woman-owned butchery committed to whole animal practices.
- Shop online: Fresh cuts of grass-fed beef and lamb; pasture-raised pork and poultry; sustainable seafood; housemade sausages, etc.
- Butcher’s Choice Meat Boxes, gift cards, local dairy, grocery items (pantry items, pasta, coffee, etc.) sometimes available.
- Delivery in the city of Philadelphia to a limited set of zip codes, pick-up at Primal Supply’s locations.
Pittsburgher Highland Farms (Pittsburgh, PA): A farm raising grass-fed Scottish Highland and crossbred cattle using natural and organic practices.
- Shop online: Beef, lamb and pork.
- Fill out a form online and email it to order; free home delivery in the greater Pittsburgh area for orders over $100; pickup locations in Shadyside, Wilkinsburg and Robinson Township.
Spring Creek Farms (Wernersville, PA): A PCO certified organic, grass-based dairy farm.
- Shop online: Grass-fed beef, pasture-raised poultry and pork.
- Dairy and eggs also available.
- Pick up at the farm.
View this post on Instagram
You won’t find a tougher group of meat slingin’ soldiers! We’re out here on the front lines, sanitizin’ & tenderizin’, wearin gloves & spreadin loves, keeping this strong community fed! . We’ll meat you on the other side of this, Pittsburgh! 💛🖤💛 .#thankaretailworker . . . . . . . . . . . #stripdistrict #stripdistrictmeats #pittsburgh #pittsburghfood #pittsburghfoodie #pittsburgheats #eatpgh #pgheats #pghfood #foodpgh #pghfoodie #pgh #goodfoodpgh #butchershop #butchersguide #exoticmeats #butchersofinstagram #eeeeeats #eatlocal #smallbusiness #familybusiness #steelcitygrammers #412 #412foodproject #homemade
Strip District Meats (Pittsburgh, PA): Full-service butcher offering a complete line of beef, pork and chicken and the argest exotic meat selection in Pittsburgh.
- Shop online: Beef, pork, chicken, bison, and other exotic meats.
- Curbside pick-up at the shop is offered.
Stoltzfus Meats (Intercourse, PA): Second-generation, family-owned butchery, meat and specialty foods brand.
- Shop online: Canned, smoked and deli meats; fresh sausages; deli meats; ham and bacon; smoked turkey; jerky; and more.
- Shipping available across the Continental US.
Verdant View Farms (Paradise, PA): Fourth-generation grass-fed cattle farm with a bed and breakfast and farm tours.
- Shop online: Eighth, quarter, half and whole beef packages.
- Delivery to Philadelphia; farm pick-up by appointment.
Wholey Seafood (Pittsburgh, PA): Well-known fish market, established in 1912, in the Strip District.
- Shop online: fresh fish and seafood, smoked and packaged fish products, meats (beef, pork, bacon, sausage, meat packages) and some exotic meats.
- Gourmet food gifts, like sauces, spices, fudge and batters, also available.
- Curbside pick-up and delivery across the US; free shipping on orders over $200.
Where else do you order Pennsylvania meats from? Let us know in the comments here or on the PA Eats Facebook page!
- Feature photo: Raw Pixel