The month of February is typically gray and cold, punctuated only briefly by a one-day holiday when we’re all supposed to celebrate love and romance. But, we think those things are worth celebrating all year-round!
Heat things up by planning a getaway in and around York County, Pennsylvania, with plenty of snuggling, shopping and surprises. Nestled near the Susquehanna River Valley, this part of Pa. provides the ideal setting to add some spark, sizzle and romance into any relationship, at any time of the year.
Set the stage for romance with an overnight stay in one of the area’s charming historic homes, where beautifully decorated rooms, comfortable beds and cuddly corners provide the perfect ambiance for a cozy getaway. Take advantage of romance-themed packages, all in the name of love:
- Get swept away in the charm of Grace Manor B&B, situated in the center of beautiful York City. Its Romance Abounds package includes sparkling pink Champagne, fresh rose petals at your feet, and chocolate-covered strawberries for you and your special someone. 258 W. Market St., York; (717) 542-0787.
- Enjoy the family-owned Red Lion Bed & Breakfast, a short nine miles southeast of York and 30 miles west of Lancaster. Red Lion is also centrally located along the Mason Dixon Wine Trail. Romantically decorated rooms and a relaxing atmosphere await you, and there’s also a large great room that’s the perfect setting for gazing at the fireplace, reading a good book or enjoying a full breakfast from 7:30–9:30 a.m. 101 S. Franklin St., Red Lion; (717) 244-4739.
Whether you’re looking for local artisan-made crafts, special gifts or something to take home as a souvenir of your visit, we’ll show you what’s in store for you throughout the region. Here are some shopping options:
- The Dover Antique Mall, Etc. is a combination flea market, craft store and antique shop. Browse two floors featuring 130+ vendors selling treasures for just about any taste, including vintage items, crafts, primitives, furniture and more. And, the best part is that the weather doesn’t matter in this enclosed shopping mecca. The Dover Antique Mall, Etc. is open daily, Tuesday–Sunday, from 10 a.m.–5 p.m. 5010 Carlisle Rd., Dover; (717) 292-2629.
- If it’s more of a small-town boutique you’re looking for, discover whimsical treasures at Cherie Anne Designs — a romantic blend of handcrafted knitwear, artisan jewelry, loose leaf teas and teaware. Filled with items you’re sure to love, the shop is located in downtown York. 48 W. Market St., York; (717) 843-0079.
The York County area boasts a myriad of couples-themed activities to make the most of a romantic jaunt. Indulge in some of the area’s popular spas and salons, theaters and indoor sports and recreation.
- Let the stress melt away at the Serenity Spa at Heritage Hills. Tranquility awaits at York’s largest full-service salon, featuring massage, body treatments, and nails and hair services. 2700 Mount Rose Ave., York; (717) 755-0123.
- Enjoy a show at the Appell Center for the Performing Arts. Films, comedy acts and jazz concerts provide all the ingredients for a perfect date! 50 N. George St., York; (717) 846-1111.
- Take a step back in time at Suburban Bowlerama where you’ll swear you’re in a bowling alley from the fifties with the retro colors and decor. Join in the fun with cosmic bowling, including disco lights and thumping music with pizza and prizes — definitely a fun date night. 1945 S. Queen St., York; (717) 848-1632.
You’ll love all the fun and romantic events going on in York County and Central Pennsylvania year-round! Stay in-the-know about the latest happenings: Visit York County and follow on Facebook and Twitter, and download the convenient 2018 Official York County Travel Guide here. Also, be sure to sign up for the “Explore York Getaway Guide” e-newsletter and current calendar of events.
- Photos: York County Convention & Visitors Bureau